I had two homework assignments from the Memorial Day Sewing Weekend. First was to find and apply binding for this blue-and-yellow quilt. It has red flannel for the backing, and I wanted to use red for the binding (otherwise certain people might think it was a University of Michigan-themed quilt, and I don't want THAT to happen!)
I found this red swirly fabric to use. Funny thing - this yellow and blue fabric is leftover from a Project Linus weekend, in which the third fabric was a medium blue version of the same design as the red. I like the connection.
I attached the binding to the front on the machine, and Mom has hand-sewn it down to the back so it is officially finished.
My second assignment was to do the binding on this quilt which was a kit from my guild. I had thought I needed to find binding, but there was enough left from the backing. Since it had to come home with me anyway, I didn't work on the binding while at Mom's; instead I was focused on items that were staying with her.
After a couple failed attempts at finding a backing, this was perfect. Mom and I had picked it out to be the backing on a quilt we are making for my cousin's baby, but it turned out to be awful to hand-quilt through - just very hard to get the needle through. She ended up picking out the work she'd done, and we found a different backing for that quilt. So being able to use it for this quilt was perfect! It is complete and I returned it to the guild in November. So my assignment from this year is complete. Mom is working on finishing up the hand-sewing on the binding, which has to take a back-seat to a couple other projects but they will get done eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment