Saturday, January 10, 2015

Bow Tie Quilts

These are some quilts that were made and donated in 2014.  I have a bunch of Thomas fabric, because L loved the trains when he was younger and I would go buy fabric he liked with the intent of making charity quilts.  Not that I ever managed to do the MAKING, but I did plenty of BUYING!  So now it is time to come up with a plan to use up some of that fun fabric.

I realized that the print is rather large on this particular version, so decided to play with bow-tie blocks as a setting around the feature fabric.  Of course, I had to play with a couple different variations, just to see what effects I could get!  Three are now completed:




The yellow and green combo uses some leftover strips of the Thomas fabric for the binding.

I used the green fabric for the backing on both of the smaller quilts - I must have bought quite a bit of it!  I absolutely love the teal fabric that I used on the binding for both of them.




These could have been tied, but would have required guessing at the center of the Thomas blocks.  Since I was a little ahead on the tops anyway, I went ahead and machine quilted these.  I used a variegated red/orange/yellow thread.  Straight-line stitching on the red/yellow and green/yellow tops, and a zigzag stitch on the four-color top.  




Lots of stitch-in-the-ditch and diagonal quilting to hold it together, and they all look pretty good!



All three have been delivered and are hopefully pleasing three little boys!

No comments: