Saturday, January 24, 2015

Colorful Squares Top

One of my little goals for this week was to finish piecing a small top that D had designed with some squares leftover from our sewing weekend.  It only has 63 squares in it, and was already sewn into rows so just needed to have the rows sewn together.

Once it was together, I realized it needed borders to make it big enough - it was only 31 x 40.  L suggested the orange (which really is a nice orange - I couldn't get it to photograph well) for the border, and it came out well


And as a bonus, I finished some simple machine quilting on it, and got it trimmed - just needs the binding to be all the way done!


I used a fancy stitch, and made two giant spirals from the center out - one on the seams, and one in the middle of the blocks.  The nice thing about that pattern is that it has almost no places where it crosses itself, so I don't have any puckers - though there are a couple slightly puffy places.  And the quilt stayed fairly soft and drapey so I hope it will be good for snuggling in!

No comments: