Last year, my guild did a Quilting Class. I think they were trying to cover a wide array of abilities, from folks just starting to experienced people learning new techniques. I am somewhere in the middle of that range, and was specifically interested in three new techniques: paper-piecing, curved seams, and applique. The first couple classes were basically review for me, but then I did learn a lot and found some new techniques I really like!
Our instructions were to pick a focus fabric (the black/dot), 3 coordinating fabrics (red, green, blue to match some of the dots) and a neutral - an off-white not pictured. It quickly became clear that the off-white didn't really fit, so I only used the four pictured below. Let's just say that my colors are much brighter/more intense than many of the other quilts - and I did learn something about working with that much black!
I actually missed the first class, but they started off pretty basic and spent a lot of time working on quarter-inch seams. To the best of my ability given my sewing machine (it's hard to see exactly what to line up with), I've got that part down already. The first assignment was to make a rail-fence block and a nine-patch block:
I'll be posting the rest of the blocks over the next couple days, so check back often to see the progress!


No comments:
Post a Comment