One of her goals was to put together a Thomas Top for a charity quilt. I think this is working ahead for May, when we do our annual Linus Weekend at Mom's. I am not a quilter - most parts of quilting stress me out - so I am in charge of tying the quilts and working on any fleece blankets we have that year. One year I was bored because I don't have anything to do until the tops are assembled. Sarah decided to work ahead and bring tops for me to tie while she and Mom and quilting each year's tops.
Sarah told me she had sewn the blocks already, but we would need to lay out the design and sew them into a top. I reminded her I didn't know anything abut sewing the blocks together but she assured me I could handle it.
Niece D and I took turns helping with the cutting and layout. D particularly likes patterns so she had a great time. She also pinned the blocks on the side Sarah was supposed to sew. Once D remembered not to move the blocks out of order, it was smooth sailing. Then we took turns doing that and cutting. Sarah taught D how to cut first, and once I saw her success, I figured I could do it too. (We were cutting corners off the blocks for the next quilt.) We had a lot of fun seeing who could get ahead of the other person - D and I could go faster than Sarah could sew most of the time, so that was fun to joke about. D reported it was even more impressive because we were tripping over a sleeping dog every time we tried to take the 3 steps from the cutting/pattern table to where she was sitting.
We love the colors! I think there will be 3 more to come on March's to-do list, with varied solid colors. Looks like the early favorite will be yellow and green (over the red/yellow combo or the four colors here) because it overall seems a little less intense.
Apparently there will be some time this month that she is DH-less, so expect lots of great posts from Sarah! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment