This project started as a way to try finishing a hexie project before I work on my GFG lap quilt. It ended up being a lot more project than I meant to do, but I'm really really happy with the result:
There are two women in my family who do hand piecing and quilting: my mom Marcie and my paternal grandmother Phebe. Both started quilting around the same time in the 80s, and Grandma continued until she was about 90. At almost 92 now, I'm afraid her eyesight has become too much of a problem to continue. But when I finished assemblying the GFG lap quilt top, I immediately started thinking of it as Phebe's Flower Garden.
During the debate about a binding color for this runner, my husband suggested brown, and when I tried this one out he said it made it look kind of like a flower box. Sold - and thus the name is obvious, Phebe's Flower Box!
The quilting consists of a green rope in the border (note to self - I love how that looks, but constantly running between layers to the next start point was a pain in the ...), green double-line cross-hatching in the background (LOVED the way this looks and the straight lines, again would have been nice to not have to start and stop so often) and yellow quarter-inch outlining in the flowers. Because the flowers are English Paper Pieced, there was a lot of bulk in some places - this was probably the biggest thing I learned from doing this, and so now I am rethinking how I might quilt the bigger quilt. I don't have an answer yet, just know that I don't want to do it this way again!
It was kind of hard to get a picture of the back, but I tried a couple times:
And thus, Phebe's Flower Box is complete. It acted as a bed runner for about a week in my bedroom, then I finally got the bay window-sill cleaned off, and put it on there - it fits perfectly, and even helps insulate that spot just a little!
No comments:
Post a Comment