I have several projects languishing, waiting for attention or inspiration or time (or a combination of those things). But one project is making great progress - the mini-quilt for the guild auction. Changing directions was a great idea - while I hate to have 'given up' on the original plan, it wasn't coming together at all - but it is still something I plan to figure out! In the meantime, the four hearts wall-hanging (which is going to need a name) - is now quilted and just waiting on binding:
The woven, bow, and star hearts are Carol Doak paper-pieced patterns. The heart-in-a-heart is my own design, though it uses the outer heart from the other three to be consistent.
I'm very, very excited about the machine quilting on this. First, I stitched around each heart and outlined whatever is in the center. Then I needed to do something in the sashing. The auction committee ladies were here Saturday, and all agreed it should be something curvy. Well. I only do machine quilting that can be done with a walking foot. I went through my templates, and pulled out this one because it seemed fairly gentle. I practiced it and decided it was do-able. And then I did it - and I'm SO pleased with how it came out:
At times I had to kind of slide the fabric sideways under the walking foot, and go very slowly around the center arcs - but it turned out quite well. I added three straight lines in the outer borders to finish it off - maybe not as complimentary as I had envisioned, but now the whole thing is trimmed and ready for a binding, and I am ready to be done and move on!
I'm linking up to Judy's Design Wall Monday - it's always fun to see what others are working on!
1 comment:
I love the quilting in the lattice!
Post a Comment