Friday, January 31, 2014

The Bulldozer Quilts

I had some cute fabric with bulldozers and front-end loaders (when you have a little boy in the house, you have to know the difference) that I wanted to use up and make some quilts for Project Linus.  I thought a nice quick block would be a square-in-a-square, finishing to 8 inches.  I pulled out a couple fabrics that would go with the fabric and went to work.

One thing I realized later - while cute, and quick to make, this was NOT an efficient way to use up the fabric.  Only 1/4 of the top is actually the fabric I wanted to use up!

I gave the kids the blocks to each design a top, and then made another out of the leftover blocks.  I used the last of the bulldozer fabric to make some smaller blocks, set them in the squares, and made a fourth quilt.  By the time I was done, I had basically nothing left of the bulldozer fabric.  Mission accomplished!

I rented time on a long arm to quilt three of them; the fourth went into the bin of to-be-tied for our next Linus Workday.

I tried custom quilting on two of them, and just did a large meander on the third.  I didn't do a great job with the quilting, but I hope a small boy with still enjoy and feel comforted by them.










1 comment:

Annie said...

It always amazes me how different the finished quilts are based on the colors changing positions! Great job!