For the third class, we got a little more complicated - we learned about Half Square Triangles. I still don't like them. And I have accepted that there will probably never be an "efficient" and yet also "accurate" way to do them - you can have one or the other.
There was also a challenge issued: to get creative. Our block assignments were a Sawtooth Star and a Shoo-Fly, both of which we could do something interesting in the center block. I think the idea was to use one of the blocks we had done previously, but I challenged myself a little more: I decided to do a smaller version of each block in it's center. The Sawtooth Star wasn't so bad, as it is based on a 4x4 grid and I was making it 6" finished. The Shoo-Fly got a little trickier, though, because that is based on a 3x3 grid and I was trying to make it 4" finished. It came out pretty close, but definitely not exact. And I intentionally reversed the colors.
Here are the centers:
And the finished blocks - I think the Star-in-a-Star, particularly in these bright colors, was my favorite so far:
I need to hurry up and post the rest of the blocks, as I'm working on the final assembly of the top and want to be able to post it soon!




1 comment:
LOVE the star in a star!
Post a Comment