Monday, January 17, 2011

Design Wall Monday 2011-01-17

This is a quilt top I finished a couple weeks ago, bundled up with backing fabric and binding, ready for our annual girls' sewing weekend.  Sister Annie will tie it (she ties so much faster than Mom and I make tops that I need around a dozen tops ready to keep her busy!).  I love seeing it all bundled up ready to go.

In my continuing quest to get some stuff used up, I pulled out this pile to work on next.  The pink is weird - it is cotton, but a heavier weight, and this is the last of it.  Anything not used in this quilt will just get pitched.  I have enough of the pink for the back and binding, too.  The challenge for this set - notice that the 4-patches are two different sizes - one set was cut too small in one direction when I tried to be efficient and work on them while also working another project that was .25" smaller....

 But if I cut them down a little more to look intentionally smaller, maybe I can make this work.  (The green and white is because I was one 4-patch short - I took it apart and used that little 2.5" strip of floral to fix it.)
 This looks pretty good - a little small, 33 x 41, but as big as the backing piece I have left - and it is done and useable and ready to move on to the next thing!
 OK - Next thing to put on my design wall: a large piece of butterfly fabric, and some solid fat quarters that coordinate.  I had big plans for something more interesting, but didn't have quite enough fabric so ended up with more 4.5" blocks.  Not very exciting, but quick to sew and easy to tie.


I usually stick with long strips for borders, but the leftover pieces from this just begged to be pieced together for a binding, and I think it will be cute - that is the extra piece sitting next to the finished quilt.  The back will be the butterflies.


So - what I am now actually working on today is a plan to use up at least the green and blue, with as much gold as I need from this group: 
And come up with something to use up this set, leftover from one of our previous girls' sewing weekends:
I already have an idea for the top group - check back to see what gets designed out of it!  And visit Patchwork Times to see what others are working on!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

your cutting "mistake" makes the design much more interesting. Nice recovery...

Sarah said...

Looks like a very productive use of "parts" and "mistakes" to end of with soem very cute projects! congrats!

Vicki H. said...

Very cute quilts. I think that your design on the fly is a great one!! Love using up those scraps