Sunday, January 9, 2011

Design Wall Monday 2011-01-10

There is technically nothing on my design bed/table/floor because I finished the project.  But I'm so proud of how this project came together and worked out that I'm going to share the evolution of this project:

Started with a piece of maroon fabric with bulldozers on it, and needed a couple things to go with it.  Pulled out some blue and yellow leftovers from a Project Linus sewing weekend a couple years ago.  Then I realized I might have enough to make a full 36 x 36 top.  Never did use the bulldozers, so I'll have to find some other fabric to go with them.

The pile included 20 4.5" squares of blue, 16 4.5" squares of yellow, 13 4.5" 4-Patch blocks, and some miscellaneous 2.5" and 1.5" strips.

Hmmm, well this would use up almost all the 4.5" blocks, and be about the right size - but what to do about the holes?  And the rest of the borders - maybe a piano keys type plan?  Let's see what happens when I get the open areas filled in.


How about this square in the center?  I had a bunch of little pieces which needed very little cutting to make it work.
 While I'm at it, four more for those outside holes with the colors reversed (one is still in the sewing machine).
 For the outside, I realized I wasn't going to have enough 2.5" strips to do a piano keys border, and didn't have enough to do one color all the way around.  But I did have just enough to do it in two different colors.  Moved those yellow blocks from the corners to the center, made three more 4-Patches, and got this put together.





With the leftovers I made these 4.5" blocks, and that left no yellow at all - nothing bigger than a square inch.  There's a bit of blue which will go into the 2.5" strip bin, and that finishes off that!

8 comments:

Jo said...

That is FUN. I love yellow and blue together.

Diane said...

oh thanks for sharing your progress! and congrats on getting it together-looks great!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting to see the thought process and changes! Marcie

Pat said...

Looks good. The blue and gold is great in Michigan!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a fun project! And so funny that you never used the original inspiration fabric!!

Barb in Mi said...

Looks great! What a development process of using leftovers!

Katie Z. said...

Great use of leftovers!

AnnieO said...

That was a great scrap using tutorial! Love the blue and yellow together.