I'm doing a LeMoyne star, hand-pieced and probably hand-quilted. No clue what size it will be or what setting I will use or borders; I think I will have 14 12" star blocks when I'm done and am just making it up as I go. I'm just doing this because I want to and it will probably stay here - a novel concept given my current use-it-up-by-making-charity-quilts approach.
The stars will each be two different blues; there are 7 blues total. The question is background.
So I was going to use yellow. Then I started questionning whether it should be white. White looks crisper, but maybe too cold? Yellow definitely looks sunnier - but does it go? Such choices! Sis gets 50% of the vote, but I'm curious what others would say from experience.
First, the blues for the stars - this was a pack of FQ that I bought a while ago - now I know that I would generally rather buy individual fabrics, but I still want to use this up. The yellow in this picture isn't very true, but it is the best one of the blues (some of which really are more purple):
Here are a couple pictures with the yellow:
And the white:
So, white or yellow?





8 comments:
Definitely white. I could see a concept with blue stars with yellow (the light) IF there was any yellow within one of the blues. But I think the white is the definite choice.
The Sister
Well I went through quite a blue and yellow phase a few years ago and still love that combination.
I would go with the white. The star looks great.
I love blue and yellow but the blue and white is striking. Since you are going to keep it I would also think about how it will be used. Do you have kids or dogs/cats? Will it be on the wall or used? If the answer to #1 is yes, blue and yellow. If it is going to be on the wall, blue and white. The one thing for sure, whichever you use, it will be beautiful!
I'd go with the blue and white...I'm just not a yellow fan. But the blue and yellow is a classic combo.
I am a blue/white fan. I love blue/white china and think the classic combo is my fave. However, yellow is more modern looking.
I prefer the white, but you are the one who will be looking at it, so go with your gut!
I really like the yellows, especially if you have them in the room where you'll have the quilt.
Post a Comment