Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hand-Piecing Project

I've had this on my to-do list for quite a while, to get a hand-piecing project going again.  I'd been doing some paper-pieced hexagons, and was enjoying it, but then read about Inklingo.  This is pretty cool - it is a download that lets you print sewing lines right on the fabric, and skip the templates, basting, and whip-stitching.  I tried a very small project, and liked it - the time to prep and baste the fabric onto paper templates is about comparable with the time to prep and print the shapes (though I think I'll get faster at the printing as I get used to it).  The big savings is in the time to stitch - a regular running stitch is much faster than whip-stitching the basted shapes.  And, I like have the seam allowance all folded to one side, instead of pulling away from the seam in both directions (in other words, the effect you get if you iron a seam open, which I rarely do).

I've had a project all picked out and fabrics ready to go for several months, but hadn't gotten to the printing part yet.  Knowing my dad was going in for knee replacement this week and I'd be spending some time at the hospital with him, I got myself going.

This project will use two sizes of diamonds, plus an elongated hexagon:

 Three batik fabrics - the turquoie and pink are pretty true, the purple is really a little lighter.  Ignore the blue swirl in the background.


 I've made three stars so far, and they are so cute and so quick to sew!

Did I mention they are TINY?!?!  I was going to do a lap quilt; now I'm starting with a wall hanging instead!

At some point I'll have to come up with a name for this project...

No comments: