Saturday, October 6, 2018

Bargello Quilt for DS

I have four big quilts that are supposed to be what I am working on, so of course I keep wandering off and working on other things!  I'm really trying to push myself on these, though - why do I promise to make them, if I don't like doing them?  No idea...

Over a year ago, I promised my son (now 14) that I would make him a bargello quilt for his double bed, in conjunction with moving into our new house.  Well, we've been in the house for a little over a year, and he is still using the twin-sized dinosaur he has had since he was little!  I'm working on this bargello in quarters, and have the first half done.  I have enough of the strip sets to finish, I think, so it is a matter of cutting them into the right widths, making the columns, and then sewing them together.  Man, those strips are long and with seams every 2 inches, this is a bigger project than I expected!  


Tonight, I made the first four columns for the third quarter, and got them sewn together.  The colors in this picture aren't great - that is a gorgeous cobalt blue batik, and then some really pretty greens variegating from light to dark.

I was tired of sitting at the sewing machine, but inspired enough to get the next nine columns ready.  Getting all the pieces cut to the right width, and unsewing as needed, feels like the most tedious part, so having these ready will hopefully inspire me to get some more sewing done!


We will have company this weekend and a very busy week follows, but hopefully I can get at least one column made and added to the center each day - that would mean that the third quarter would be done next weekend!

No comments: