Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Little Vacation Sewing Progress Updates

Today's 5 goals are:

1.  Trim and add the front binding for Bo's quilt.  This is a quilt that Mom is making for her grand-nephew, hand-quilted, and is gorgeous.

11:15 - done!  And this quilt is just the softest thing I have ever worked with!  Hand-quilted with interlocking circles, and very much in the style of how my Grandma made many baby quilts.




2.  Make a patriotic top for Mom's sewing group (top complete and back cut to size) using their giant courthouse steps pattern.

12:35:  Done!  This is a, um, interesting project.  Mom's sewing group that she recently started attending put out a request for patriotic quilts, and handed out a pattern with a 22" center, and 2 sets of 6" strips around it.  Now, anyone who doesn't like to piece backs will see an immediate issue with that.  When we started cutting the fabric that Mom and Sis picked out (Very Sparkly Fabric, I should note), we realized we didn't have quite enough, so we shrunk down the steps a bit, added the border, and got it to 42" square which just fits on a single-wide piece of fabric.  We actually finished the top on Monday, but the project didn't count as done for today until the back was cut to size, which it now is.






3.  Make a second patriotic top using the leftovers.

7:05 - done!  Sort of - there is one last border to put on, but it is cut and sent home with Mom to put on at home.  In my hurry to help her get on the road (she has a 3.5 hour drive home tonight) I forgot to take a picture.  It is quite a quilt - but rather cute!

4.  Make a top out of floral, purple, and green fabric.

12:35 - done!  We did much of the piecing Monday and Tuesday, and added the borders today.  The whole goal of #4 & 5 is to use up a set of fabrics that coordinate with the floral.  When Sis was here she helped me match fabrics and put them in bundles; it was great to just pull out a bundle and say "I'm using this up today!"  This is based on Warm Wishes, but uses only 2 stripes instead of 3 - I don't like it as much, but it will work to be tied and go to charity:



One main thing I learned from this - the green and purple, while they both coordinate really well with the floral, are too even in intensity, which makes it harder to see the squares around the floral blocks.  Good thing to have learned, especially on a quilt where it won't really hurt anything!

5.  Make a second top of the floral, purple, green that uses them up.

4:30 - done!  I used up all of the purple, all but one 2.5" square of the green (the smallest size I throw in the scraps bin) and one 4.5" square of the floral.  Pretty good, I'd say, and we actually like this top even better than the first!



Other achievements:
-  Mom finished a Christmas ornament for Christmas 2014 (THAT is thinking ahead!)
- Mom ironed several pieces of fabric for another project for me
- I cut most of the pieces for my next use-it-up project (I'll be using up some bulldozer fabric)
- Mom worked a little on her hand-piecing project
- Good conversation
- Relaxed, low pressure time with my mom

A Really Good way to use a couple vacation days!

1 comment:

Annie said...

WOW, what great progress!