Sunday, June 6, 2021

Woven Batiks - progress and prep work

We had a very modified Linus sewing weekend this year - thanks to vaccination, I was able to visit Mom and Dad and Sis for Memorial Day Weekend - our first visit in about 10 months.  But son L was with me, and it wasn't as long as we normally go, and being together was more important than any specific quantity of progress.  So Sis finished tying one quilt that was in progress, and Mom helped with trimming all the batik threads (she calls it "grooming" which is a very good description!) and I did a little more piecing.  Mom ironed two tops/backs, and we got them layered and pinned for next time Sis wants to work on tying.  Here is the batik collection that has the white strips on - just under half of the total strips:


I spent some time today unpacking the supplies I took with me (even scaled down, I took WAY more than I needed to!) and got everything put away.  Then I cut more white strips - I keep thinking I have enough cut, and then run through them and am nowhere close to done!  I actually did a rough count today (and also discovered I have 40 more batik pieces than I thought I did!) and now I really should be close.

Since I'm using up miscellaneous white pieces, I found this cut EXTREMELY satisfying - I had about 1/2 inch of waste from the whole width of fabric!


Here is the basket with the pieces yet to be sewn - once I get that pile of green that is sitting cross-wise at the top done, I'll be halfway.  This is going to produce 240 blocks that finish at 5" square.  Based on the size that the Project Linus likes, we will end up with either two medium quilts, or one large and one small.  It will partly depend on how I can use the pieces efficiently, though I am sure I can find something in my stash if I need to add another color or two.

No comments: