Friday, May 7, 2021

Baseballs in Warm Wishes

Years ago, I wanted to make more boy-themed quilts for Project Linus, since I was hearing that the most urgent need was for older boy quilts.  When I found some baseball fabric on sale at Joann's that seemed like a good candidate.

I started a couple projects with it, then of course got distracted.

In the last year, the only closet I have cleaned is the one that stores fabric.  And that was more because I couldn't find something that I really needed as opposed to being a Covid project.  In fact, Covid made my life much crazier, as two jobs had to move online and I was overseeing two kids being online, and I have done very little crafting in the last year.

Life is still very busy, but I want to be making at least a little something.  When I came across the baseball fabric while cleaning, I pulled it out as a "low-hanging fruit" in the stash-reduction effort, since there was already one top almost complete, and I didn't want to do anything too intricate with the rest.

This is actually the second or third quilt out of the baseball fabric.  It turned out rather different than what I had in mind, because I used the baseballs for both the alternating squares and the middle stripe of the rail fence block, but I like it.  I've made this pattern many times (it is a free one called Warm Wishes originally designed for Project Linus and a pattern is here: Warm Wishes pattern) and enjoy playing with the color placement.  I also sometimes vary the width of the strips in the rail block, depending on what I have available to use up!

This will go in the to-tie pile, for whenever it is that I can get together with Mom and Sis to have a workday.



No comments: