Sunday, September 30, 2018

Pink Squares

I'm trying to bring a sense of order to my sewing area while working on easy quilts, by actually FINISHING some things.  We'll see how long I stay focused (I technically have three different Linus quilts that I'm bouncing between, and have already started thinking about what comes next.  Never mind that I'm supposed to be working on the four big projects, not Linus....)

A LOT of years ago, my mom made an oversized queen log cabin quilt for her bed.  She had a lot of the fabrics left over, and we've been trying to use them up (the original quilt has worn out and was recently replaced, so this seemed like a good time to get the original leftovers used up!)  We made several rail fence quilts, and then still had quite a bit of fabric but it was in pieces that weren't conducive to more rail fence.  So I've been trying to come up with some other ideas on how to use it up.

First up:  I've added two greens, and made 40 square-in-a-square blocks:


These blocks use a 4.5" cut center, and the green pieces were cut at 2.5" x 6.5".  They do require a partial seam, but they are big enough that the partial seam wasn't difficult to do.  I just completed them, and will start assembling them into a top tomorrow.  The one downside about this plan: the pink fabrics that I'm trying to use up only are 25% of the block, and 75% of the block is new fabric that I purchased for this project.  NOT an efficient way to use up stash, but I do like the colors together!

No comments: