Monday, May 16, 2011

Design Wall Monday 2011-05-16

As I mentioned in my Stashbusting Report, I'm working with my son's First Grade class to design some simple comfort quilts.  I went in on Tuesday and explained the idea to them, and having learned from my experience last year with the Kindergarten class, I printed out a sheet with a numbered grid to help them with the symmetry.  Then I gave the kids squares of colored construction paper and showed them a couple basic patterns.  I was amazed at what they created!  Pretty much every group managed to deviate from what I thought they would do, but they all look great.  So I'm sharing their designs and the fabric today.  The fabric is all washed and I'm working on ironing it.  Figuring out the cutting is proving to be a great math exercise for L, and then he and D will help me lay out the fabric to match the patterns:

Can't wait to see what others are working on over at Patchwork Times!

3 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Kids always surprize me! Looking wonderful.

glen

LuAnn said...

Someday your son will say to you, "I remember when you used to come to my school and do things with my class" and you will realize just what your being there means to them. They will love the bright fabrics, too!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - how talented are they! I love there layouts!!