Monday, November 15, 2010

Design Wall Monday 2010-11-15

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments on last week's Stack-n-Whack blocks.  They are all sewn and now being trimmed up - hopefully for next week I can get them all laid out and photographed.

First up to share this week - my GFG, which is making quite steady progress thanks to keeping it ready to go at a moment's notice.  I work on the basting and initial flower assembly at gymnastics and piano lessons, and anytime I can pull it out for a minute.  I work on assembling the flowers to the big piece in the evenings in front of the tv.  This being my first one, it was mostly to learn the technique, so I think I will make it about 5 x 5 flowers, then turn it into a lap quilt and move on to the next one I want to make, which will be more intricate.

Also out: the baby quilt.  I decided to go with a different layout, which I really like but if I were going to do this again, I'm not sure it is most efficient to be done as a D9P.  Also, it should be assembled in 4-patch blocks, not straight rows.  And here I was so proud that I was going to be done BEFORE the baby was born, then found out Baby Zachary arrived Friday, 6 weeks early.  He is 6 lbs 6 oz, though, and not much of a preemie for being that early (as in, maybe the due date was wrong).  So now I am scrambling to get it done!

I love visiting Judy L's page to see what everyone else is working on!

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

The baby quilt is so cute. Love the polka dots. I'm getting a bit dot crazy although I have very little of it. I just like it. Hum, maybe I should BUY some. What a concept!

Chris said...

Cute baby quilt. They just show up when they are ready, whether we are or not. :-/ Kids!

Charlene S said...

Babies come when they want and the quilt is darling.

Tamera said...

Love that baby quilt!

Denise :) said...

I love the baby quilt, too -- polka dots are such fun! :)

AnnieO said...

The baby will never know his quilt didn't arrive before he did, so no worries! It is fun and bright and looks just great.

Kate said...

Cute baby quilt.

Don't you love hexagons and GFG for passsing all that practice time that would go to waste? I have a GFG that I started when kiddo had hour and a half soccer practices. It's now the swim practice and travel project.

kwiltnkats said...

Looks great in this layout. Yes agree the D9P seems to have gotten lost. The way the blocks are linking together are quite appealing. Did you make the right color quilt? Another DWM poster mentioned she never knows the sex of the baby ahead of time. I think just about any color goes for either...well maybe not pink!