Monday, October 18, 2010

Design Wall Monday 2010-10-18

Its been a while since I posted anything on Judy's DWM - usually I am at work on Mondays, and never get around to posting.  But I've taken a precious day of vacation today so I promised myself I'd post!

The main project for today revolves around this:
If you have identified that as an almost-30-year-old elephant costume head, you are correct.  My mom made it when I was a kid, my sis wore it, some or all of me 3 cousins wore it, and now it has come back to me for my kids to wear.  My son really wants to wear it, but it needs some rehab: there is a stain on one ear, the trunk needs to be restuffed, the ears pressed, and the tusks will be replaced.  I also have to make a new jumpsuit to go with it, as he is too big for the original one.

This morning after dropping off the kids, I went to JoAnn's to get new fabric for the bodysuit.  I also picked up a lot of flannel, which is on sale for a great price, for the next Project Linus sewing weekend in a couple weeks.  I had a lovely time chatting with the woman doing my cutting, talking about different projects, and tried to help keep things moving by folding up the pieces after she cut them.  At the end, I was floored when she slipped me $20 to go towards the fabric for Linus!  I didn't quite know what to do, there were people waiting behind me and I didn't want to make a fuss, so I just accepted it and thanked her - that was such a generous move from someone who probably makes minimum wage or not much more, and I won't forget it anytime soon!  Would you have done the same as I did?

My design wall is being sorely neglected due to life in general, but I've started a D9P for a baby quilt, using these two blocks:
Still deciding on the layout for it, but I'm very excited at how it is looking.  All 24 9" blocks are made and cut into quarters, and I'm starting to piece them together.

And I continue to pick away at my GFG, and enjoy it.  I've decided to add yellow flowers too, so that there isn't as much of a line of each color effect.  Only about a million more seams to go, but I really love how it looks.  It's a little warped right now - I'm hoping once I remove the papers and iron it, things will smooth out and lay nicely!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Sarah,
It was lovely of you to accept the money, that way she has a part in the donation quilts too!

Cathy said...

That was so kind of her. You did the right thing. I love your GFG blocks.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with your response. She was contributing to a worthwhile project in a way that she could, and I hope you enjoy your next Linus day even more, as her love seeps into the warmth of the flannel also.

And let me be honest, I am absolutely tickled pink about the elephant! Love, Mom

Tamera said...

I also think you were right to accept the donation. What a lovely thing for her to do. As you said, it was most likely a great sacrifice.

Vicki H. said...

Your blocks are so pretty. I think accepting donations graciously as you did is always the right thing to do.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very pretty flowers!
Thanks for sharing that heartwarming story about the linus donation...restores my faith in humankind!
Good luck with the rebuilding the elephant costume!

Anonymous said...

Awww, so sweet! I love chatting with the cutting ladies. :-) Maybe you could print off a couple pics of "the stack" of completed blankies and drop her a note at the store when they're done.
The Sis