Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stashbusting Report 2010-06-06

HOORAY!  I've done it - I'm back in the black as far as busting stash!

Last weekend was our annual Girls' Sewing Weekend for Project Linus.  Mom, Sis, and I worked on a total of 13 quilts - 8 tops that I had already completed, plus 5 more that we made.  Sis managed to tie all 13 - she's pretty amazing.  We got the binding on the front of most of them, Mom hand-sewed one down, and I machine-sewed another.  I expect we'll get the rest completed over the next month or so, and then I get to make a big trip to my Linus drop-off location.

I don't have a lot of pictures yet, but will have to take them as I can.  Here is one of the tops we made and finished - a D9P (Disappearing 9-Patch).  I had taken the 9-Patches with me, and we worked on putting this together while I started cutting the fabric that we had picked for the other 4 quilts for this year.  Mom did the hand-sewing on the binding.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but in real-life it almost has a three-dimensional look - the blue squares kind of pop right off the top of the quilt!  The back is a yellow that doesn't really match the one in the top, but it was out of my stash and easy to grab and that's what we went with!
This week is all about working on the monkey quilts for my son's Kindergarten class project - he only has two more weeks of school, so I guess I better hurry up!  I'd like to have it all done for Friday, but we'll see.  I've got all 6 tops assembled (the four the kids laid out plus the two made out of the signature blocks for the teacher and teacher's aide).  Three are machine stitched - nothing fancy, but enough to hold it together.  So the goal is to get the other three quilted today, and then do at least one binding a day - for time reasons, I'll be doing at least most of them by machine, but will try to do the teacher ones by hand.
Went to JAF yesterday, and brought home 6 yards of a school bus fabric that will be great for backing a bunch of quilts similar to the monkeys, to use up some of the excess fabric that I bought for them.  So that sets the stash report back a bit.  And I only get to count the backs and bindings from the Linus ones that are completely done, so there aren't a lot yet.  And DH is working a ton of overtime this weekend - last night, just to scare him, I started calculating how many bolts of fabric I could buy if he works 6 hours today - but I promise not to!

My totals are:
Added this week: 6 yds
Added YTD: 34.5 yds

Used this week: 9.4 yds
Used YTD: 35.6 yds

Net bust: 1.1 yds

3 comments:

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Great Job Sarah -- and your cause is so worthy.

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, you sure moved some fabric! And you are in the black! Congrats!

Barb in Mi said...

Sarah, your blogger profile is 'no-reply', so nobody can answer your comments. Just saying...
Anyways I shop at Cristina's Quilt Shoppe in downtown Rochester. Quilt Guild will start again after summer break - there is lots of knowedge there...