Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stashbusting Report 2010-02-21

I've been working on using up this set of bright fabrics, bought several years ago to make a couple Log Cabin baby quilts.  I did one, and had 3 blocks left over, and put it away.  So now the goal was to use it all up.  I cut all the fabric into strips, and made enough Log Cabin blocks for two lap quilts.  My pattern helper got to lay out the blocks - not exactly what I'd have done, but I followed his directions anyway.  He had a lot of energy and was doing back flips off the couch when I took the pictures, and wanted to be in them.  Blogger keeps turning the one sideways - no idea why, but after four tries, I gave up and left it sideways!

I had lots of blue and green so I sewed them together and tried this tessellation pattern I'd seen somewhere online - sorry, no idea where but I don't think it is a copyrighted pattern at this point.  And I figured out my layout and yardage by myself. 
And this version - same colors, but I made the switched up which color was dominant:
And I tried a four-color version, too.  There are a couple different ways you could lay it out, but I went for the diagonal stripes:
Anybody notice the oops?  My 5-year old caught it first.  So I got to explain about taking your time and being careful and one of my mom's trademark phrases "Do It Right or Do It Over!"


I was thinking about writing out the Tessellation pattern - would anyone be interested in it?  If so, leave a comment and tell me whether you like the 2- or 4-color version, and approximately what size you'd want to make.
So that's 5 lap quilts in the last couple weeks.  I pulled backings out of the stash, but the binding and backing doesn't count until the quilts are finished.  Doesn't seem like a lot of stash busted for the amount of sewing I've been doing!  There is one last quilt coming out of this fabric that pretty much finishes it off, which I should have done for next week.

Oh - and I added something, 2 yards of a stripe and a half yard of black.  Totally not what I was looking for when I stopped at the fabric store that day, but I needed a little retail therapy.

Added this week / YTD: 2.5 yds
Used this week: 1.1 yds
Used YTD: 11.7 yds

Net busted: 9.2 yds

To be on track to make my goal for the year, I need to be at 25 yds busted at the end of February - not sure that's going to happen, but there's plenty of time to catch up!  Check out how everyone else is doing at Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Love seeing all your piecing. You do a great job. And your helper has a great eye...I would have missed your Oops moment!

Jennifer said...

Great quilts..your helper is adorable! I didn't even see the oops!

Tamera said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!

My daughter and I liked the dominant green two color one, but the four color ones are great, too!

Lori said...

what a great assortment of quilts from the same fabric. And the assistant looks to be having fun--can I borrow him? And I still can't see the oops, so guess I'm too old!

Barb in Mi said...

Sarah, you commented on my blog paint creek quilts - thank you! Yes, I will be at the Troy Project Linus blanket party on Saturday. See you there! Coudln't email - no address...
Great & colorful quilts!