I had to go up and sew yesterday, so I'd have something to report in my Stashbusting. The thing about my stash is that it's almost all in sets offo fabrics - not just individual pieces to be used one at a time. In this case, I had this floral that I thought about using for curtains for DDs room, then didn't. So I found some pieces of pink and green, and decided to use it all up on Disappearing 9-Patch (D9P). I've never made one before, but thought it would be good to try to use up some of the sets of fabric I have. I realized part way through that I was going to run out of green, so I switched to pink and ended up with two block styles.
I didn't like the way the one on the left looked by itself when I cut it apart and realigned it - the green "plus sign" sections were too dominant. So I played around with combining pieces from both blocks, and came up with this, which I really like:
There are enough blocks for at least two more lap-size quilts, so I'll have to play around some more. This one is about 35" square, which was intentional because I had a 36" square piece of pink to use for backing. The yard of fabric for the top counts now that it is done; the back and binding don't get counted until the quilt is all done.
So my stashbusting report goes:
Used this week: 1 yd
Used YTD: 1 yd
Purchased YTD: 0
Net bust YTD: 1 yd
Thanks to Judy L for running the Stashbusting Reports - my wallet and my storage closets are all breathing a little easier after last year, and I'm hoping for another good year of using it up in 2010!


8 comments:
How clever of you! I really like the design you came up with. The green does look much better that way.
That's very pretty. I like the design you ended up with.
Lovin' that pink and green!
That is a really nice top!! Nice and happy looking!! Just think, before you 'bit the bullet' and decided to try a D9P - this was just fabric that was laying around taking up space in your room.
Now, you have a great top, and you busted some stash!!! Excellant!!!
Love the D9P!!
Ooh, pretty!!! Did you make a goal of sewing 4 hours each weekend or anything?
I really like what you came up with. That is using your creative muscle. Very nice.
I love the new design on the D9P! Symmetry is my comfort zone, but I like the lines and links. Marcie
Post a Comment