Sunday, June 7, 2009

Stashbusting Report 2009-06-07

It's been a long time since I've posted, but at least it's partly because I've been busy sewing! Over Memorial Day Mom hosted a sewing weekend with my sister Annie and me, and we worked on a total of 15 blankets for Project Linus. We have done this several years now, and really enjoy the weekend. The projects during this weekend included 4 blankets out of a set of pink & orange fabrics that Annie picked out. I had brought 8 finished tops, plus another that was cut and ready to assemble. These are all lapsize quilts. Annie also brought a couple fleece blankets to tie. By the end of the weekend, all except one were assembled, sandwiched, tied, trimmed, and binding sewn on the front. (The last one wasn't trimmed or bound.) Mom is the ironing champion and sews, Annie does tying and layouts, I do cutting and sewing. After the weekend, Mom and I finish hand-sewing the binding down.

As of today, Mom has finished tacking 5, and I have one done. I only have a picture of one so far:


I also finished this tonight - a very small baby quilt (about 28x36) meant to use up some flannel and a specific piece of leftover batting. I machine-quilted it, and finished up the handwork tonight, so it is counted in my total:




I also got some miscellaneous stuff done today - hemmed a shirt, tagged four charity blankets, made a little pad for the toy changing table that was mine as a kid and my dad touched up for my kids, did some general putting away, etc. It was a good week!

My current totals are:
Fabric Used This Week: 9.75
Fabric Used to Date: 199.9

Added This Week: 0
Added to Date: 161.5

Net Busted: 38.4
Goal: 250 yds

Looking at the distance to my goal is disheartening. BUT - I'm definitely buying less and buying wiser, and when I look at how much I've used to date, I could still make my goal as long as I sew at that pace, and don't buy anything! I do have about 15 yards in the 'in process' category that should get used in the next couple of weeks, so I'm not giving up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the pic that has the whole stack of all 15... that will be awesome! I'm hoping to tie the last black and yellow befire I see you next.... although I guess it doesn't technically count for Linus! GOOD JOB! Annie