So much has happened since I last posted - and I'm amazed to see it has been a year and a half! I've finished my master's degree, and we built a new house and have (mostly) moved. My sewing machine is still in the old house (anybody looking to buy a house?) as part of the staging, and my craft room is piled high with all the miscellaneous stuff that has no home. But I need to start doing something crafty, so I've dug out a hand project that has existed for years, and that I just love.
This was a set of 5 tonal fat quarters, and some black. I've always loved this "crystal" shape, and it is conducive to hand piecing. I've slowly picked away at this project - started it as EPP, then decided I wanted it to be done with a running stitch, so tore everything apart. It may not go fast, but I'm going to get some progress made! This will be either a wall-hanging or lap quilt when it is done.
I actually have two different project kits for working on this - one to make the stars, which is extremely portable, and a second for assembling the stars to the body. I got both kits out, cleared out the accumulated extra stuff, made sure each has everything necessary to work on the project, and even did a little stitching tonight! I finished a yellow star, and then worked on attaching the blue star in the top right corner. It is 4/5 attached at the moment, and the rest will go quickly.
I'm trying to go with a random color layout, but keep it evenly spread. To keep things even, I am doing the stars in sets of 5, with one of each color, and attaching them as I go, so I don't end up with any of the colors clumping together. The body is about 20" square right now. I have no idea how I will finish the edges borderwise, but I think I have time to come up with a plan!
This will keep my busy for a while, but if I work on it regularly I bet it will grow quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment