Back at Halloween, D wanted to be a bride. It is a very special bride costume, as it is one that was made for me when I was about her age (maybe slightly older - I think she is taller than I was). One problem - at the time it was made, my family went to an indoor Halloween event. D would be wearing it to trick-or-treat outdoors in 40-degree, rainy weather. Solution: I made her a fancy cape to wear so you could still see the dress, and she stayed plenty warm!
I had some leftovers so I thought I'd try making a doll-sized cape. Funny thing - before I got too far, she spotted the leftovers and asked if I could make a doll-sized cape!
It consists of a very fuzzy (read: very messy with lots of shedding all over my sewing area) white outer fabric, and a teal satin lining. The original also included a layer of fusible fleece for extra warmth. I found some easy patterns online, though the concept is pretty simple once you spend some time looking at them. I'm particularly proud of the little collar I added on both, though, for extra warmth around the neck and just to be a little fancier!
First my Cabbage Patch Doll (Patti Desiree). It's a little shorter than I would have liked, but I did the best I could with the white we had left!
Then we tried it on Elizabeth, D's doll. The two are sisters in her world of play; I'm happy to see her enjoying playing with them!
You can see some of that pretty teal lining, and the collar above.
A fun project, and I can now throw out the last bits of white. I kept the pieces of teal - if I get really ambitious one of these days, I will try making a simple doll dress from them. IF. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment