This summer is flying by - and I'm not spending nearly as much time sewing as I did last year during the school year! Over the last couple weeks though, with several weekend trips, I was able to finish the hand-piecing project I've been picking away at over the last couple months:
First picture of it finished, the colors aren't very true and it hasn't been ironed yet, but how exciting to see it all come together!
After ironing - THAT was an adventure, trying to figure out which way to make all those seams go! If I counted right, there are 78 pieces, and the whole thing measures about 6" on a side. The smallest (pink) diamonds are .75" finished on each side. Kind of nuts, but it was also rather fun, and I absolutely LOVE the colors in it!
The back - I had to figure it out one section at a time, trying to find places to open or swirl the corners, and how to not have TOO many layers at any given place:
The shapes were printed with Inklingo, so I had perfect piecing lines and my points look really nice. I can't imagine having to draw all those tiny lines on for the piecing!
Next up - decide how to finish it, probably as a wall-hanging. It needs a little bit of quilting, but I can't decide how to finish the edges - binding or no binding? - which will influence what kind of quilting i do. But after all that work on the hand-piecing, it does rather seem like it should be hand-quilted, too!
Since I'm actually getting this posted on a Monday, I will link it up to Judy's Design Wall Monday post.
2 comments:
That looks amazing! Wonderful handwork. And I agree, with all that hand piecing, you should probably hand quilt it too. Congrats!
gorgeous! Mom
Post a Comment