I've really missed doing Design Wall Posts. I've done very little that is noteworthy the last couple of months, but with school starting next week hope to get back some of my sewing time, when L is at second grade, and D will play happily with empty spools and scraps of fabric for a while!
This is what was in progress on Monday:
This is #4 of the 6 quilts designed by L's first grade class last spring. I had actually finished it before the end of the school year, and showed it to them, then ripped all the quilting out because of horrible puckers on the back. I think they resulted from a combination of going too fast, having my machine up on a table so the layers shifted as they fed in, and doing it outside in the evening (we were camping) when it got damp, causing the backing to stick in places to the machine instead of feeding evenly. After I got the binding on, I just didn't feel good enough about it to send it to the charity it is destined for, so L got a real-world example of Grammy's favorite phrase "Do it right, or do it over!"
I absolutely love the colors in this quilt - so bright and bold and happy, and I really hope it will bring a smile to a child that needs one! It is now finished, with just one pucker that I am afraid to fix for fear another round of ripping will weaken the fabric too much. Quilt #5 of the project needs the binding, and #6 is sandwiched and pinned but I think now I will go back and add a lot more pins before I start stitching it, just to be safe. My goal is to get #5, plus two other very small tasks, done before next Monday. With an actual weekend at home (the first in 10 weeks - all good travel but I'm ready to stay home!) I should be able to get that done with no problem!
I'm sure I'll be the last to link up to Judy's Design Wall Monday for the week!
No comments:
Post a Comment