I realized that I was out of things I could easily sit down and do for 15 minutes, so it was time for a rather unglamorous day of planning and preparation.
First, I used Excel to chart out how these strips will be used, and determined that I'll need 44 more blocks. I decided that the purple/red/orange ones will go in one direction and the green/blue in the opposite.
Then, I ironed. There were a little over 200 blocks to be done. Blech. I'm so grateful that Mom does a lot of the ironing when we get together for sewing days! But I'm pretty happy with how these are looking and I think my vision for what they are becoming is going to work well.
I found a dark green and a blue batik in my stash, and cut a strip of each. Also cut the rest of the white I will need. And, during ironing, I discovered that the orange with dots only has 21 blocks, not 24. Since one of the colors only needs 22, and I had a couple 2.5" squares of it left, I'll piece them together to get one more block out of it. That goes along with the sense that everything about these two quilts will be focused on using up things I had.
I just love the sight of my project all neatly cut and folded in a little basket, waiting for next time I sew!
If I get back in the sewing room again today (as soon as I post this, I have to work on adding some of the kids' activities to the calendar), I will poke through the next project I want to do, and see how ready it is or can be for 15-minute chunks.

No comments:
Post a Comment