Turns out there was a slight flaw with my plans for doing fifteen minutes: my enthusiasm for how easy it would be neglected to take into account that last week was shutdown and I was home from work everyday! This week, it was back to work plus a weekend camping trip, so there wasn't nearly so much sewing going on. Oh well - just knowing that I had goals made it easier the few days that I did get into the sewing room, and I put some major time in on a project that I've wanted to revive but wasn't on the list.
This past week's goals were:
Monday - Write this post, log this week's goals, and mend a button - post & log done
Tuesday - Iron the Lightning strips - done
Wednesday - Assembly the bottom half of DD's Swimming Leopards
Thursday - Sew 6 long seams on Lightning
Friday - Sew 6 long seams on Lightning
Saturday - Cut borders for Swimming Leopards
Sunday - Prep back and binding for Lightning, log in To Tie file
Here are the strips for Lightning, all ironed. Oh - unexpected - I bought a new iron this week. I have been using the one I got for college since, well, college! It did a nice job, but did not have a spray/mist function and could do steam but not a burst of steam. I found one on sale at Costco, and it jumped into my cart.
Also, I spent about 15 minutes one day digging out a box that had some leopard fabric in it, as I wanted a small piece to add a little surprise to D's Swimming Leopards quilt. Of course the bin was in the farthest back corner of the closet - but I'm so glad I found it!
My hand sewing project at the moment is a black-and-brights crystal quilt that I started quite some time ago. I love pretty much anything based on equilateral triangles, but I think this crystal shape is my favorite. I also love crisp, clear, bright almost-solids against black. This started with a pack of five fat quarters and English paper piecing. I loved EPP at first, and have a completed flower garden top that I'd like to get quilted. But on closer inspection, the points don't line up well, and you can see the stitches even though I used thread that matched the fabric. And it isn't any faster - I think the whip stitching is slower than a running stitch, though the prep for EPP is faster and more portable (especially since I already CUT all of the fabric, so I have to mark the sewing lines on them one at a time). Below is the EPP start - I could attach it to the rest and keep going, but I won't - the difference in the seams is too obvious to me. I have five stars assembled with running stitches and have started to connect them. This week I located and prepared enough bright fabrics for 3 more sets of five stars. Just a bit ago, I located a baggie with more black in it, so can make some more hexagons. There have to be some more precut crystals somewhere, but I have enough to keep me busy for a while. I haven't decided if I will spend the time to take the piece below apart to salvage the crystals or not - since I'm working with 5 fat quarters, I don't have a lot of the brights to begin with, but it seems like an awful lot of work to pick out all those stitches!
So this week's goals will look pretty similar. I'm not adding anything new to account for Wednesdays being work, cook dinner, and then spend four hours in class:
Monday - Write this post, log this week's goals, and mend a button
Tuesday - Assemble the bottom half of DD's Swimming Leopards
Wednesday - pass exam 1!
Thursday - Sew 6 long seams on Lightning
Friday - Sew 6 long seams on Lightning
Saturday - Cut borders for Swimming Leopards
Sunday - Prep back and binding for Lightning, log in To Tie file
Handwork: Mark black hexagons, finish adding first five stars to the main piece
No comments:
Post a Comment